Saturday, June 9, 2007

Lessons for me

So, it's been a few days again and people are bound to get a bit touchy wondering what's happened. Yeah, for those that are regular readers they're bound to be aware of the delays that happen. Just not able to be around to post. Nor do I feel it's fair to post a blurb to the effect of "I'm here." I could do that if people were anxious, but it doesn't really give them any reward beyond that. No knowledge, nothing really to think about, yet...

Meh, anyways, the point of this post. Yeah, this is one that has more of a point than a "I'm here." Lessons. It's amazing what a person can learn when they try.

First, I've learned that it's hard for me to get into a proper habit. I've had a few days since the last post, and technically a few days before that one as well. A few days? For what? To think, to contemplate, all those bits that I normally do. Yeah, I'm a self-meditator.

Anyways, I created this blog as a sort of way to jot things down. To express things that I haven't yet finished thinking about, but at least had enough of a grip on to say something. That it may incidentally provoke others to think and respond with their insights, was the bonus and reason why it's up here on the net instead of quietly existing as one of the myriad of text files I have on the computer. (Which I realize, might serve as future posting material or "Filler"... hmm, this bears thinking about).

I can not keep on topic tonight! This was created to post ideas, so that they didn't slip away. Well, I've had a few ideas that came to me, that I intended to address and maybe even post here and most of them escaped over the period of time since the last post. The story was one idea that came to me and had to go out. But the others, save one, escaped. That rather irks me. I'll probably conjour them anew later, and then have to again go through them and re-establish what I was able to achieve before, without having a chance to get further or get more.

Alright, second lesson. (Those of you who have kept pace with tonights various feints and outright misdirection earn a point) I learned that you can edit posts without disrupting their place in the blog! I can practically hear some of you groaning, and others wondering why I didn't already know that. Point there is, I hadn't tried and I'm not familiar with it. I thought to myself that perhaps by editing the post, it might consider itself to have new material (which in a way, it does) and then try to hit the top of the blog as a "new" post instead of remaining stoically where it should at its original post point.

I have, this should come as no surprise, made typing mistakes before and undoubtedly will again. But one typo in particular was annoying. I used the wrong word entirely. Pronounced the same, spelled quite differently and of course, meaning something else entirely. I guess this means I'm an audio thinker? I found it when I was trying to pick up the threads of thought to try to find the escapees, and decided that it was worth the risk of changing the post's spot, to edit it and correct the typo.

Now, onto something else yet again!

Thought. Where do thoughts come from? What are they supposed to represent? Stay with me here. Why are thoughts necessary? We know memories exist without being concious of them all the time. You can dredge up memories of last week or years ago without needing to have kept them as a concious thought from last week or years ago. Now, to actually remember them you need to think of them. But when you don't think of them, it isn't as though the memory is lost forever or ceases to exist. It just, disappears effectively from your conciousness.

As for the flip side, why is there a concious need for thought? Could you not achieve the same without needing to conciously express the idea? For instance, when you can't understand something that somone is trying to explain to you, you're working to put their words together and derive an understanding. Sometimes, you just get it. It's there, without a thought or process to have arrived at it. Other times, you have to follow them premise by premise until you reach the conclusion they were trying to express.

Something I'll continue to think about, now that I remember it.

No comments: